Hello All,

My 950B/7100 arrived yesterday. I am still waiting for my DVD player so I decided to test what I could and have some fun.

My unit has a blue dot sticker next to the serial number. I assume this is ok since I purchased a beta?

I hooked up 5 channels of the 7100 with Blue Jean cables. My speakers are NHT Super Ones and Super Zeroes. I set up the unit, which was very easy btw. All speakers set to small.

I can hear a slight hum from the 7100. I can here the hum from about 1 foot away. I assume this is normal hum from the power supply.

Since I did not have CD/DVD player, I decided to test out the famous hiss issue. Remembering from Gonk’s review, he could not here any hiss at 10db with CD sourced to analog. I tried this, I hear slight hiss starting at 0db and it increased as I pump up to 10db. It’s not real loud but at 10db I can hear it from 10’. If I switch to a digital source on the CD, the hiss goes completely away. I tried different surge protectors and plugging into different outlets with no difference.

Nothing is connected to the 950 except the 7100, all speakers set to small. The 950 was in 2ch stereo mode. Hiss will get worse if I moved in one of the surround modes. If I switch the 7100 off I can still hear the hiss for a few seconds as the capacitors drain. The hum from the 7100 goes right away when switched off.

The hiss issue does not seem to be a big deal just more of a curiosity. Tonight I will try the VCR out and see how it sounds.

Bob

[This message has been edited by bobm (edited September 21, 2004).]