Quote:
Originally posted by bestbang4thebuck:
Poll time: among those that have tried one and tried a pair, how many have stayed with two subs and who has gone back to just one? If you went back to one, was the decision primarily financial, or because you found little or no better results with two? Or for some other reason?
B]

right now i have 1 subwoofer for lfe. i have 2 others that i use for the lows for my fronts, but not for lfe directly. this doesnt count built-in subs that are in some of my speakers.

as with everyone it is primarily a budget reason why I have only one subwoofer for lfe, but not entirely. if i thought more was worth the money, i would have more, but i dont, so i havent wasted my money.

i have at times used more subwoofers total, and more for the lfe (while I had some on loan :-)), but came to the conclusion that i was crazy for trying to convince myself that i was making anything better.

as i have said numerous times, i would rather have one really nice sub, than any number of average ones. i dont ever strive for simply more noise or higher db, what i want is clear, articulate sound that will shake stuff off the wall if i need it to :-).

i do not think that "better" sound is achieved by two subs of lesser quality, rather than one of 2x better quality. realistically everyone has budget constraints (rather they be actual or sane limits), so if you are asking yourself, how can i get "better" bass?, the answer is not by getting more subs, instead it is by getting better a better sub, or perhaps 2 better subs.

i dont feel it necessary to argue the fine points of science or mathematics to determine what is what, i can simply hear for myself. i have heard many kinds/combination/quality of subwoofers and i could not get much better than what i have now with any amount of money that i would ever spend on home audio. value is what draws people to outlaw audio, and value is what most people consider when making a purchase. if a sub is 2x as good and 2x as expensive as another, then it is a good value. having two subs that are half as good, will never be as good as another that is 2x as good. and if you had 1000x of them, they would still not be as good as that 1 that is 2x better.

anyway, i think i have stated and restated my point enough. and before anyone quips that i have 3 subs, i only have the other two because i have bookshelf mains and dont want to loose any lowend (particularly for music), and i got to keep them (had to give the others back that i was "borrowing") for free. if i would have had to buy them, i wouldnt have, because they dont make nearly enough difference, but since i have them for free... why not utilize them...

------------------
[b]This post has been brought to you by curegeorg, thanks for reading.