Certainly not an expert Norman but I've had my 950/7100 combo for about 3 weeks nowand everytime I go into my theater and fire up a movie or music I just smile I replaced a Marantz AV-550 preamp (the first $1000 Dolby Digital preamp) with a Carver 5 channel amp, that sounded very good, I was ready to upgrade. I needed component switching, 5.1 inputs for DVD-Audio, DTS and prologic II for starters. The sound from the outlaw combo is fantastic, it reveals so many things I never heard before with my old set up. For example I love to use the Lobby shootout through the helicoptor crash section of the Matrix (why didn't they stop at one?)for a demo so I've watched the scene at least 50 times. The first time with the outlaw was a revealation, everything was so clear and pinpoint accurate. You can clearly make out every layer from the music to the gunshots to the tiles exploding and falling to the swooshing of Neo's jacket during his cartwheel to pick up the gun move. I was floored!! I've now had that same reaction with every movie I fire up. Order with confidence you will not regret it for a minute, I know I don't, I'm actually sorry I waited as long as I did!! Good Luck and enjoy.