like i said, i dont claim or pretend to claim that i have used two speakers as my center channel. it is a bad idea, thus i have not, nor will i ever do it (unless there are 2 outpus for center channel in the future, i.e. stereo center channel). having two speakers play the same signal does not make the sound sound like it is coming from between them, it makes it sound like the same sound is coming from both of them. i have done that, two speakers same sound (mono). voices, dialog, high frequency sounds, etc. all come from the tweeter (take off your grill and feel during a speaking scene of a movie). tweeters are not designed to be in close proximity to one another. as sound radiates out of any speaker it travels via sound waves in a vshaped path, these waves normally have no problem reaching the target without interference. in higher frequency sound especially, their can be interference if a wave of a frequency overlaps another wave of the same frequency. this does not yield 2x as much sound at that point, it changes the sound. who was it that said two particles cant occupy the same space at the same time? newton. the same can be applied to sound, however, the waves can occupy the same space, because they turn into a slightly different wave at that point and further will be distorted. i.e. the sound before the point where they overlap is sound x, the sound after the point of intersection is sound y. the sounds are similar but not the same. MAYBE you can get the sound y to be what you like, but it is not going to be accurate no matter what you do. low frequency sound behaves a little differently because of its longer wave lengths, sometimes these waves lengths can get near parallel to each other and cause a coupled effect. high frequency doesnt do this because the wave lengths are so short, it is nearly impossible to get them to be near parallel...

not to mention that high frequency sound is pretty localized, just as low frequency is not. so to say that two speakers have an effect of sound in the middle is absurd, your mains dont have that effect if you feed them a mono signal. other things have to be done to simulate a center from two mono signals fed to two seperated speakers.

you guys that say, give it a try and see what happens, just dont know. sometimes i dont know, and say give it a try. really the point is moot, because if you want to experiment and waste your time and money, then do it. as long as youre happy, im happy for you. however you will be losing clarity for your center channel, at the sacrifice of more sound. you could GAIN clarity and GAIN more sound by just buying a good quality center channel.

not to mention that center channels have a different axial alignment of speakers than do other speakers, and changing that axis throws of the dynamics of the sound designed for the center channel. i.e. instead of having a horizontal field targeted at (or at least encompassing) your seating position, you would get a vertical field slicing through your seating position.

also sound travels very quickly, but sometimes you can hear a slight delay coming from two seperated speakers playing the same sound (mono). this has to do with more than the sound traveling out from the speaker, but the effect is that the sound arrives at your ear at 2 different times.

there is a lot of things going on with the reproduction of sound... you cant forget that these physical properties exist and influence everything that comes out of your system.

that is ALL i am going to say about how having two center speakers in an ht is a dumb idea. suit yourselves. i prefer my sound as distortion free as possible though.

------------------
This post has been brought to you by curegeorg, thanks for reading.