Jason J makes some excellent points -- and I still feel that the potential for the "dual centers" to do what IDareYa is looking for is great enough to warrant an experiment. Multiple center speakers is not an unheard-of approach, after all. For a long time, Yamaha even went so far as to provide two center channel connections on their receivers.

Quote:
curegeorg wrote:
my thought was to build the speaker directly into the riser/stand that the tv sat on. so that it could be close to the tv, high enough for your seating, and out of reach of your hounds, plus it would look more professional (or custom).

Yes, but his riser is only going to be 8" tall, making it both impossible and acoustically undesirable to build a 9" tall center channel into it. Plus the fact that the pictures I've seen of his set (a Sony KP65WS510) show that putting a center channel below the TV would put it at least 2-1/2 feet away from the screen (it's a CRT RPTV, so there's a big chunk of space between floor and bottom edge of screen), and that is clearly too much distance between screen and center channel.

Quote:
It's just a matter of how you would power them. I don't know if you would want to connect them in series or in parallel.

He was originally talking about powering each speaker separately, with either a pair of 200's or two channels of a 770 fed from the 950's single center channel pre-amp output with a splitter cable.

------------------
gonk -- 950 Review | LFM-1 Review | Pre/Pro Comparison Chart | Saloon Links