I would highly recommend NOT running the PC's video through the 950.

If the ATI driver setup under Linux allows you to select the svideo input on the card, you might be able to connect the 950 to the video card and just choose that input when you want to view the 950's OSD. If you direct connect the HTPC as I suggest below, you'll get no feedback loop. (This can be done with the ATI cards under Windows. I haven't used one under Linux.)

Although the video bandwidth on the 950 is just fine, ANY additional and/or unnecessary switching in a high-rez video chain is going to compromise the picture quality to a greater or lesser degree. This is increased if you're transcoding from RGB/SVGA to component and back.

If your CRT will accept an svideo or composite video input, you might want to run a separate cable from the 950 to the CRT just for the convenience of the OSD setup. Switching between sources at the CRT is going to be MUCH easier than doing it under software control on the HTPC. (However, as Gonk points out, you can do all the 950 setup from its front panel display.)

The best arrangement IMHO is to just run your RGB cable from the HTPC to your CRT, and a digital audio cable from the HTPC to your 950.

[This message has been edited by boblinds (edited March 01, 2004).]