After I posted earlier today, I dug a bit deeper into the 2200's manual. Setting SACD to "CD" will cause it to attempt to play a CD layer, but if there is no CD layer available it will automatically switch to the SACD layer. That explains mthen10's experience with SACD's that lack a CD layer The manual isn't clear on how it will then decide between stereo and multichannel if both are available.

There's not a lot that can be done as far as publishers providing insufficient or inaccurate labeling of their products. One thing that can be done is to lean on the player to shed some light on what is really coming from the disc. In the case of the 2200, there is a set of indicators on the top right corner of the display that show what channels are actively being output. That should help identify discs that are 5.1, 5.0, 2.0, or something in between such as 4.0 (assuming it works with DVD-Audio and SACD discs, which I would certainly hope it would).

mthen10 offers a good suggestion: the 2200's test tones. If you can get test tones from the 2200 on all six channels, then you know that the 950 is functioning correctly and all of the interconnects in the signal path are correct.

------------------
gonk -- 950 Review | LFM-1 Review | Pre/Pro Comparison Chart | Saloon Links