Hello again,

Perhaps I can provide a tad more detail to what all I have tried to remedy this. I have switched from any number of the surround outputs to 6ch direct. The center does happily play when in the surround mode, and it is cut off when the switch is made. We therefore know that the interconnect between the 950 and the 7100 is functional. Also, that rules out a different downstream wiring issue.

From what I mentioned in my previous post, the center channel will play test tones generated by the 2200 when the 950 is in 6ch direct. I have everything laid out on the floor now and the only inputs that I have running between the 2200 and the 950 are connected to the 950’s multi channel inputs.

Gonk, you are correct about the options in the Denon’s audio setup menu. There are actually two different items under that audio setup menu that could be causing the problems. There is a “audio channel” setting that can either be set to “multichannel” or “2 channel.” The next item is “Super Audio CD” which can be set to either “multichannel,” “stereo,” or “CD.” Strangely, SACDs labeled as SACD only (not readable by normal cd players) will play when the “CD” option is selected in this menu. However the display on the 2200 still calls it a SACD. I can compound this more by saying that SACDs that have a normal cd layer on them will play and show up on the 2200’s display as CD’s when that option is selected.

Back on track, the menus are all set to mutli on the 2200. The Denon remembers the settings between discs and being powered off, so that isn’t the problem. Additionally, you have to be in multichannel mode to have access to the speaker configuration menu in the Denon that allows you to test other surround channels. The menu will only let you test the mains if you are set to stereo. This is where I am able to play the test tones that work.

I have a feeling that it is a quirk with the Denon because I can’t see how the 950 would manage to alter music input but not test tone input. Sorry for the long read, but I would still really appreciate any ideas.

Regards,
Matt

UPDATE: I think I have solved my problem, hopefully it can help some others. I disc I was using to test everything was Aerosmith's Ultimate hits 2 SACD set. The fancy sleeve it was in said it was multichannel. I have a few others that have stereo sleeves and didn't think anything of it. So just to try something new I drop some Toto IV in the denon. Boom, the center channel plays perfectly. Upon closer inspection of the Aerosmith disc, it is not multi channel as the sleeve said. Now I'm gonna have to yell at Bestbuy and Sony, and from previous experience I know that talking to each is like talking to a wall.

[This message has been edited by mthen10 (edited March 30, 2004).]

[This message has been edited by mthen10 (edited March 30, 2004).]