I know this subject has been discussed before in this link http://ubb.outlawaudio.com/ubb/Forum15/HTML/000816.html but I am still having a problem setting correctly. While redoing some of the equipment I began to run through the normal setup items with the SPL meter and everything is going fine until I get to setting LFE phase using the Chesky disk. I believe there is something odd with the LFE phase tests on this disk. I am having similar problems to Kevin C.Brown in that no matter wat I do the out of phase signal is always louder while using the 6 analog inputs. I now have the system setup so that only the LFE is driving the sub amp and switching the phase makes a slight difference in sound but it doesnt change the fact that the out of phase signal is louder.
While trying to figure this out I wanted to see if the signal being sent to the amp is equal for both the in and out of phase signals. If I measure the voltage coming out of th 950 at the LFE jack the mV reading is a little more than double for the "out of phase" sinal compared to when the signal is "in phase". I don't know if this is a proper way to test for this and that is my reason for asking some of you local electronic experts. It seems to me that the ouput from the 950 (or the DVD player) should be the same reading regardless of it's phase. I can naturally increase or decrease this signal with the volume on the 950 but the variation always seems the same. I tested phase signals using another disk (Avia) and I don't get the variation in the voltage signal.
I guess my question is that if for some reason the "out of phase" signal being produced using the Chesky disk is higher than the "in phase" signal the amp will play louder, would the use of the SPL meter to check phase be useless?