Thanks for the responses. I was beginning to think my original post was written in invisible ink.

Quite a few years back I used a processor by AudioSource, model SS3. It had a mode called Matrix (Never really liked that name because it's too reminiscent of the L-R Matrix that was the basis for the SQ and QS quadrophonic schemes in the 70's, and later evolved into Dolby Surround.) that synthesized stereo/surround from a mono signal. I believe it used a comb filter technique that actually worked quite well if used judiciously. It gave the sound a phasey spatial quality without all the reverb and echo like you get with the DSP modes found on so many receivers nowdays. I still have that old processor packed away (drives my wife nuts when I don't get rid of any of the old stuff)and I got the manual out the other day. I thought I might patch it into the 950 as an external processor. The lack of a tape loop/monitor on the Outlaw makes that a little trickier. I'm not currently using the zone 2 output so I could patch it through that way. Well, that's what I thought until I realized that the AudioSource sends the fronts straight through and the synthesized signal gets routed to the surrounds. It's amazing what you learn just by re-reading those user manuals. So the only way I can think of to employ the old beast would be with the 5.1 direct inputs. Trouble is they are occupied. Looks like I need another multi-channel input (or a switcher).

------------------
Tekdredger