Just ask Amie for a discount...I got one without buying the sub. The M22s, VP-150, and QS-8s all use the same drivers, and mate very well together. Although the VP-100 uses the same driver, I have heard from many who have upgraded that the VP-150 was a big step up in sound from the VP-100. I am astounded by the way my system sounded (they are boxed while I work on the house) and highly recommend the Axioms. If budget only allows the QS-4s, they will be OK. The QS-8s, however, have had fantastic reviews from most everyone who has heard them. If you were to purchase that system and mated it with a great sub, you would be very happy for a long time.

As far as the room, you may need to tone it down a touch. Simply buying $20 worth of sound batt fiberglass insulation and some 2X4s, making some boxes to put the insulation in, and covering it with fabric will tame the room,s brightness. Locate the panels at points of first and second reflections. This will help. More rugs or carpet on the floor will also help.

The Axioms are not bright...they are accurate. Just like a loud "clap" is harsh and rings in a live room, so does the midrange sound from an accurate and articulate speaker.