Do you have some CDs and DVDs you like? If so, pack them up and head off to your local toy stores. Listen to speakers, and yes it is okay to ask the salesperson to shut up so you can listen. Listen to speakers, not the sales hype, your ears really don't care what the sales hype is but will care how the speakers sound. There is a problem with places like Circuit City and Best Buys, it's too noisy to listen to speakers. You need to shop some place that is quiet, that won't rush you, that lets you listen to YOUR cds. Relax while listening, sip some tea or coffee. Make this an enjoyable experience. Compare speakers to drinks, you prefer some tastes to others. When you have it narrowed down to two choices, ask yourself which is "hot chocolate" and which is that mug of "hot chocolate" with the little marshmellows and the whippedcream. Taste the sound the speakers produce. If you don't you may find your ears soon get bored with the plain "hot chocolate," and you've just spent a lot of money for plain, boring hot chocolate. I agree with looking at speakers you can move around, it will be like sprinkling nutmeg on your hot chocolate when you get them home. My wife thinks I've lost my mind with this metaphor, but most of us have learned this lessen over the years. Lots of luck shopping, but DO NOT buy speakers based soley on our recommendations! This is the most subjective decision in the whole hometheater process.