My perceived sarcasm was an attempt at humor about where this is all going. From earlier posts it looks like they are already up to 8.1, so there appears to be no end. I’m a firm believer in the KISS theory, although I would love to see increasingly improved quality of 5.1 systems and programming for them! I don’t detect any holes in sound with my 5.1 system, but it could be I just don’t miss what I don’t have. Maybe it could really be that people are chasing higher quality sound through more channels, rather than through improving the quality of a smaller number of channels? I chose a seating sectional that was a very comfortable pillow back style, because the lower back design would not block any sound coming from the rear of the room from reaching my ears. I can see where people with a high back theater seating could need more speakers just to overcome blockage of sound. Also my full range rear speakers at the rear corners of the room are identical to the mains and aimed so the directional sound of the tweeters intersects just behind the listening position. The sound blends seamlessly, and to my ears I see no reason to add more channels. What is wrong with phantom directly rear or side sound, if it works fantastically and benefits by simplifying and requiring fewer channels? To each his own, and I can see how 7.1 could be a help for some, to over come room and furniture problems. I just think more DSP channels needs to end some where, so that the industry will concentrate on offering better quality. More speakers mean more profits, so they will only end it when people quit Jones-ing for more channels, and just demand higher quality to get them to part with their dollars. I guess I belong in the soundhound camp of thinking! Sanjay does make some good points, but will the same points be pushing for 10.1 in 2 years? Just my humble opinion, so all ya-all outlaws have a good one!