Kevin,
Quote:
Somewhere I think I saw, (SMR or maybe HTF) it does look like DPL IIx supports "stereo" rears.
Yeah, I confirmed it for you over at SMR. The Dolby FAQ (which you were "too lazy to read") says it explicitly.
Quote:
If I was Outlaw, I'd see what it would take to do an Eprom (EEprom?) upgrade to the 950, and then charge $50 - 100 for it. If possible.
Might need to swap out the Crystal processing chip, and there's no guarantee that the 950's architecture will support a newer processing engine. However, before even crossing that bridge, Cirrus has to release the appropriate chipset.

One thing nice: the two rear outputs of the 950 are not fixed as dual mono (as on some receivers). You can tell this because each is able to produce a different signal when in 7-channel stereo mode. Seems ready for PLIIx, doesn't it!
Quote:
I was always surprised that other than the 8000, none of H/K's receivers had it for 5.1 sources. And then personally, I'd wouldn't be surprised to find out it was an accident for the 8000 as well.
Accidental (and undocumented) feature on the AVR-8000. The 5.1 signal is first downmixed to 2 channels using Dolby Surround encoding, then upmixed via L7 for 7-channel playback. Very different from how it works on your MC-8 (or any Lex processor).

Sanjay