I've conceptualized a system that I call "Omnichannel." And I offer it here for free for all to pursue. (Call me the Linux of the home theatre world if you'd like.)

The system consists of an enclosure capable of radiating sound from an essentially infinite number of discrete point sources on its surface. It is also capable of holographically creating a sound point source anywhere within its enclosed volume.

Sound engineers are thus capable of taking any sound / effect and "placing" it on a three dimensional grid.

The system is fully adaptive and will sense the contents of its enclosed volume and adjust for them.

Just as it is able to create point source sound anywhere within its volume, it is also able to create point source lack-of-sound (nulls - but I call them non-audible black holes) as well. So you and your significant other could be in the same room together, you watching an explosive scene from T2 Extreme, while he/she enjoys peace and quite and the company of a good book.

Great sound and marital bliss. Gotta be a winning combo.

Until someone with deep enough pockets picks up on the concept and develops it, I'll just have to be satisfied with the entirely pleasurable sound coming from my model 950 - and not lose any sleep over how pathetically inadequate it will eventually be once Omnichannel hits the market.

Jeff Mackwood