Including those things you mentioned, you may hear a variety of improvements: On vocals, the head of the person may appear smaller and instruments more precisely placed in the soundstage as things tighten up. You may also get more front-to-back depth. Lastly, things may appear less veiled. You'll know what I mean if and when you hear this, because it's like someone removed a thin gauze blanket off the top of the music.

Lastly, though silver [i]can[i/] sound bright, it doesn't always, depending upon how it works with your system. If your components are already on the harsh/bright side, it can exacerbate the problem. But in many cases, it just extends the highs in a smoother way. So paradoxically, you can get more extension on the top end, but without the brittle edges.

That very things happended when I upgraded my Monster M1 speaker cables to the DH Labs T-14 (the T-14s are sliver coated OFC). The M1s had a reputation of being rolled off, which they were, but they also had a glare in the upper-midrange that disappeared with the T-14s.

The other phenomenon that has happened since upgrading my cables is that a few recordings I thought were bright or harsh really weren't, they just sounded that way because of the glare problem with the older Monster product. That's one of the reasons why it's interesting to see what happens when you throw in a CD you've found fatiguing to listen to.

You've got quality speakers, so I think the tools are there to reveal one way or another what's going on between the cables. I've good things about the Alons. How do you like the II's? The only ones I've read about are the Lil' Rascals, which seem to have a cult following.
Squeezebox -> Behringer SRC2496 -> Musiland MD10 DAC
Sota Sapphire; Marantz 10B;
Video: Hitachi 42HDS52A; Oppo 971H
System Pics