My comparison with components to cables from the same timeframe was to highlight that you couldn't gauge how things sounded until you auditioned at home and that the many nuances that seperated the sonic qualities of gear were not captured in the specs' themselves.

As to cable burn-in, I'd have to see if I can find some technical basis for how that works. All I can relate is from my own and others' personal experiences, but I've noticed that doesn't seem to resonante with many people around here. :rolleyes:

Anyway, I do know many of the cable manufacturers advise a break in period and there are several so called "cable cookers" out there that consumers and manufacturers can and do use to expedite the process.

Lastly, if CR's were based on listening tests, I stand corrected. I can only tell you that the folks that walked in with one of those mags' tucked under their arm were challneging customers. Once they made up their mind on a product that had one of those red dots next to it, they weren't receptive to trying anything else.
Squeezebox -> Behringer SRC2496 -> Musiland MD10 DAC
Sota Sapphire; Marantz 10B;
Video: Hitachi 42HDS52A; Oppo 971H
System Pics