Quote:
Originally posted by Videodrome:
That seems to be at odds with a lot of technical analysis on the subject. The interface between the transport and the DAC is one chain in which jitter can be induced -- whether that interface is toslink or coax. Hence the terms "cable-induced" or "line-induced jitter" that have become part of the digital audio lexicon.
We're actually in agreement, in fact the link you gave has the following:

Quote:
Interface jitter is then further divided into "transmitter jitter" (fe. the jitter that comes out of our CD transport / -player) and "line induced jitter".

The latter comes into action, if we connect the digital output of our CD-player to an external DA-converter. This is a transmission of a digital signal and it will add jitter to our signal whether we use a coaxial cable TOSLINK or SToptical interfaces.
It's important to note that S/PDIF/Toslink, transmit the same signal, which incorporates the jitter-inducing added clock signal. ST transmits a different signal. You'll note from Wadia's site that their glass inputs are ST inputs, while their Toslink are plastic. IIRC glass is part of the ST spec (to accommodate wider bandwidth), so using the interface requires it.

I'm not trying to argue here, just noting there is a difference between the signal interface (or transmission format) and the physical interface when referring to jitter. This can cause a lot of confusion when laypersons like me get involved, and semantics can keep my point from being clear. I hope I have been able to clarify a little bit better.

Kind of goes past my pay grade after that. I'll raise a beer to the subject on Sunday and drink to all of our digital interfaces being error free smile