Quote:
Originally posted by JMS:
Soundhound,

As you may know, I use Mackie 824s in my ht. I originally used them only for their intended purpose: as close range monitors in my home recording studio but one day I realized that I was hearing playback that was very close to what I was recording. When I tried 'em in the theatre, especially in contrast to the Alesis powered monitors I was using as surrounds, I was convinced I was on to something. Now I understand that the active bi-amping in these speakers might be the secret. In any case, I heartily recommend Mackie 824s as primary speakers in a 5.1 setup. (BTW, the smaller Mackie's don't sound as good, IMHO. Also, I'm not sure whether the Mackie active sub might be an improvement over the Outlaw lfm I'm listening to now.) One other thing: they can be bought at your local Guitar Center at a steeply discounted price.

Jay

I have used the Mackie HR 824s many times and have been blown away by their sound - especially their low end. That kind of performance would not be possible without active crossovers and the electronic tuning that is done. The manin thing that characterizes active systems is the clarity and definition, along with lack of power compression.