Quote:
Originally posted by harp795:

Soundhound, I have no doubts that a professionally calibrated completely active setup would sound fantastic. Maybe even superior to an equivalent passive network. Just like a calibrated HT with speakers that use passive crossover networks can sound fantastic, if you're willing to spend the money to get there. My point is simply that not ALL systems (and as you so beautifully state, users) will benefit from active vs. passive networks. Besides, we are all at the mercy of our rooms, our recordings and spouses. It's a wonder we ever get any equipment we like!

You are absolutely right of course that active crossovers are not for everyone, and probably not for the majority either. I was simply trying to point out that there is a lot of improvement that can be had by "thinking outside the black boxes" of what manufacturers offer up - they after all are market driven and this does not necessairly equate to the finest possible sound for a given amount of money.

Having worked for two speaker companies (Altec Lansing and JBL) for a total of about 10 years, I know firsthand that what goes into a speaker is a compromise of factors like cost and the level of user interaction required. Active crossovers are very user intensive and passive crossover speakers are set-and-forget affairs.

The audio hobby in it's early years used to be very user interactive with many kits available and project articles published - not anymore. The norm is take what you get from manufacturers and don't dare mess with what's inside. About all that is left for the average person is experimenting with cables and other tweaks.

Active crossovers, while more difficult to set up than a conventional system, are not rocket science either. The required knowledge is easily gained. Personally, I think that it is a shame that the DIY spirit has essentially vanashed from the audio scene and people assume that "the speaker manufacturer knows best and who am I to question their judgement".