soundhound, I’m here to learn so please bear with me.
Signal from the source component is less susceptible to degradation when put through active crossover circuit than amplified signal from amp going through passive crossover circuit?

The setup you mentioned and own is really tempting. Am I missing something or is it (active bi-amping) just not as commercialized as passive crossover system (some are very expensive)? None of the audio stores I’ve been in including Mark Levinson’s Red Rose Music has such setup. In fact, the first time I’ve seen a comprehensive description of sound system using active crossover was where I expected the least. It was in Popular Hot Rodding TV http://www.phrtv.com/index.asp

I have yet to run into a person who’s auditioned an active bi-amp system and I doubt I will any time soon. None of my friends have, including the one I would consider an audiophile. Besides the cost and size, what could possibly be the reason?

soundhound, I assume this active bi-amping system meets your quality standard. It wouldn’t be me because I just do buildings but if someone can turn it into a package system like many consumer products have been, wouldn’t that someone make a fortune?