"If you want some really significant improvement, why don't you just go with true active bi-amping or tri-amping and eliminate the passive crossover network entirely"

I'm not sure that bypassing or changing the passive crossovers inside the speakers would always result in improvement in sound quality. I know I read an article recently regarding the thin wiring used inside of high dollar Legacy speakers. Consumers were complaining that they spent hundreds of dollars on high quality speaker cable only to discover the inside of the speakers were lined with cheap thin wiring. The designer of the speakers replied that they had spent thousands of hours tweaking those speakers to make sure they sounded fantastic. You liked the way they sounded when you bought them, so the 20 ga. wire feeding the tweeter worked as designed. Now, my point is, most high end speaker manufacturers are putting together drivers, cabinets, passive crossover networks that arrive at a certain sound. Changing any one of these elements is most certainly going to change that sound. The passive crossover network, as inefficent as it might be, was designed (perhaps with more efficent drivers for example) to work in concert with the other parts of the speaker to achieve a certain level of performance. If by changing the speaker cable leading to the inefficent passive crossover network improves the sound to the ear of the listener, then I suppose it was worth whatever amount of money was put into the cables. I am also a firm believer that any upgrades or improvements one makes to their audio system is completely limited by the performance of the surrounding components. Meaning if you have a $500 HTIB any you drop $500 in a set of Kimber speaker cables, you're probably not going to hear much difference. However, if your components are all Krell Master Reference with Wilson Audio WattPuppy speakers, the difference in one cable to another might be completely noticeable. Just my opinion, of course!

[This message has been edited by harp795 (edited May 11, 2004).]