For interconnects, I am using Belden 1694A video cable with Canare connectors. Because of my background in both video and audio technical situations, I chose to use the crimp-type Canare connectors in order to maintain a ‘true 75 ohm’ cable, end-to-end. This helps with video. IMHO, the solder-type work just as well in audio, but may present small problems in some video situations. Some say that the solder-type connector will maintain a better connection with the cable over the long term. On the other hand, I have never found a problem with properly made crimp-type connectors, some with BNC-type connectors that I have found in use for over a decade or two.

My solution to the varied speaker cable ‘physics’ problems has been to use Belden 8281 video cable, the outer (shield) conductor only, in pairs. 1: Resistance is quite small; only 1.1 ohm per 1000 feet! That means that fifty feet out and fifty feet back to a speaker, for a round-trip total of a 100 feet of this cable, will have only about a tenth of an ohm resistance. That’s not easy for standard speaker cable to match. 2: Inductance is small; the way this cable is used, no current is passed via the center of the cable where the effects of inductance are concentrated. That’s also hard for standard speaker cable to match. 3: Capacitance, already almost a non-issue, is reduced by the fact that each half of the cable pair is not held in tight proximity to its neighbor for the whole length of the cable run. These cables are not ‘thin and light,’ and the ends need some preparation to be used this way, but I like the results.

After all, getting the signal from one place to another with as little hindrance and alteration as possible is the goal.

Happy and safe cabling everyone!