There is one thing that strikes me in this thread (as it does in the whole audiophile area) and that is the incredibly small representation of women. Without going back through this thread and making guesses at gender, I'd say the majority of respondents are male. The reason this springs to mind is because wives were used in several responses as evidence that cables matter - the inference being that if "someone as uninformed/tone deaf as my wife can hear the difference, there must be a difference".
Oh please!!!!
All this proves is that men (I am one) can be pompous when it comes to technology. Too many try to use the 'Emperor's Clothes' con on their spouses having, in many cases, been conned themself.
There is a concept I laugh at when I hear talk of 'improved' sound, better staging/depth/colour,etc. Compared with WHAT?
Even A/B testing is only comparing one configuration with another. A true comparison can only be done against the music as it was performed in the studio/venue and this is, clearly, impossible. And even if it was, we have other issues such as what volume, what location relative to the performance etc.
In short, there are so many variables in the concept of accuracy as applied to performance that the role of a competent cable is negligable. Guys, get over it. Make your wife/girlfriend/lover partner/friend a comforting drink, go to your music area, agree on something that is appropriate to your moods and enjoy the music.
Okay, rant finished. I've talked myself into putting some music on.