I think mxy15 said exactly what I've been thinking for some time now. Obviously, a lot of the cables out there are obscenely priced, which I think we can all agree on. Some people think the whole idea of "good cables" vs. "bad cables" is nonsense -- I understand the reasoning, even if my experience doesn't necessarily match the sometimes compelling logic. Other people can listen to two different cables and hear a (sometimes drastic) difference, and based on the difference they hear they will decide what cables they want to use. Rather than fight with each other over who is "right," I suggest we all just enjoy our systems. If you're somewhere in the middle and not sure if you would get any benefit from expensive cables, go borrow some from a local audio store and give them a listen. If something like the Radio Shack Gold sound as good to you as some MIT or Transparent cables, stick with the Radio Shack and be happy. I'll also add that Outlaw's PCA's might offer a nice middle ground -- great cables priced on par with or below the Monster Cable junk at Best Buy.

It all goes back to one of the best rules to this whole hobby -- get the equipment you like. That's the only really important part.