To play devil's advocate...

I find it interesting that you write off the "I heard it" proof so easily. As anybody who actually enjoys home theater will tell you, the single most important factor in assembling your custom built system, in the end, is how it sounds to your ears.

If that is the case, wouldn't the fact that people hear (or even just think they hear) what they perceive as an improvement in sound quality, be justification enough?

I personally don't have an investment in, nor have I done a comparison with, expensive interconnects. However, I very likely will get some outlaw interconnects one day when I have a few thousand to sink in to improving my HT and upgrade to an HDTV (or better), a 950/770 combo, and bigger & better Bostons!

Additionally, I notice you were quick to negate the concept of "burn in". Again, I refer you to my previous argument about what the end user perceives. However, I can say this. My speakers took on a, I'll use the word different so as not to try and quantify the change, different sound after everything had been connected and running for a few days. Since I didn't alter any settings after my initial setup, I can only assume the change was due to your easily dismissed "burn in" phenomenon.

I respect your right to your own opinion and I certainly am not trying to change your mind or start an argument. Just stating what I have observed in my own, admittedly limited, experience. Also, like I said at the front, just playing devil's advocate to express an opposing viewpoint.

Thanks for the post and I'll be sure and check some of your links!