Good topic. I hope there are a large number of responses. From what I've read on the internet and magazines, this one of the most debated topics. I don't know the true answers, but here's what I found in my system.

My old 'pre-amp' was an HK with pre-amp outs, running to a Carver amp. It was a mix and match system (as I guess my current set-up is too) but budget was much more of an issue back then. I had 3 different types of cables running to it: Monster audio cables (can't remember which ones. . . they were about $30 for the pair) for the mains, a video cable for the center and bottom of the line Radio Shack for the rears. Over time, they all migrated to Monster, but to no real noticeable change. Could have been the speakers as well, as they were bottom of the line.

In recent times, all components have changed, except for the Carver amp. I use Tributaries (the Monster were too short for the new amp position) and the one thing I like more about them are the connectors aren't ridiculously tight. Overall, my uneducated ear has not been able to consistently tell a difference. They do seem to have less interference with other wires (e.g. better shielding???), but again, that can usually be avoided by careful routing anyway.

On other interconnecting issues, I have used a mix of Monster and Tributaries, with one generic set from Best Buy to connect a second VCR. They came from the factory with a bum connection, so I returned them and went with Tributaries.

I did notice a significant audible difference in speaker cable, however. I think this is definitely an area where quality/construction can make a big difference. I went from a thick (10 Ga. course wire/fewer strands) Home Depot special to a Monster (12 Ga w/more strands) set and noticed more mid and high level information. That could be off topic, but I found it to be critical in my system.

S.