I'm not entirely sure I follow you here...

You are using the complete capabilities of the unit, when using DVD-Audio (which is why you have it -- the Onkyo has its own digital-domain bass management for every other source in your system). The subs are connected through it, just like the other speakers.

I had to think about it for a while, but I think the sub arrangement you are describing might work, although I don't know that it gives any benefit over the arrangement we talked about earlier (and it may present some hazards). You will be connecting the sub output from the DVD-Audio directly to the Onkyo -- so when you play a DVD-A disc the Onkyo will see as its input the five full-range channels with bass management already applied and the original LFE channel. THEN the LFE channel will leave the Onkyo and go through the ICBM, where it will be split into two signals and receive the bass management treatment. Then when using other sources, the Onkyo's LFE output (which would generally include bass crossed-over from other sources) would go to the ICBM and be split. With DVD-Audio, you will be able to get the "stereo sub" effect (although I worry a little about the difference in signal path potentially causing trouble with time delay or phase -- I'll leave that to the local bass management wizards). With other sources, because the signal from the mains is not going through the ICBM it will only be splitting the signal -- and you will not want the DVD player playing one thing while you listen to something else, or you'll pick up bass from the DVD player's analog outputs in your sub.

The surround back pre-amp output is confusing me -- you are combining the two channels into one with a splitter (which is probably unnecessary, as they are a mono signal and both contain the same info) and hooking them to the ICBM. The surround back channel will only be active when the Onkyo is handling digital processing duties, and so you already have bass management on that channel(s). Also, how are you connecting the ICBM's output to the DVD-Audio player -- since it shouldn't have any inputs? Did you mean to say that you were connecting to the amp? You don't need to connect the surround back channels to the ICBM at all -- just go from receiver to amp to speakers.

------------------
gonk -- Saloon Links | Pre/Pro Comparison Chart | 950 Review