I was able to stack the 7100 on top of the 755 for easy cable switching and did some comparision listening between the 7100 and 755 this morning.
Briefly, I found the 755 is a bit more detailed and bass is a bit more full (dynamic?). Other than that they are very similar to each other for 2 channel music, DVD-Audio and DD movies. Without side by side switching, I would not be able to tell the difference (I am sure someone with audiophile ears probably could).
This could be due to the average Toshiba DVD-SD5700 or my aging ear drums .

For my situation, looks like the 7100 is the appropriate choice:
  • Less weight 51 lbs compared to 78 lbs for 755 - I got quite a work out moving the 755 & 7100 in and out of the cabinet (I had to reinforced the shelf for the 755.)
  • Cost less but has 2 more channels - no longer need to consider M200.
  • 100W per channel is adequate for the room and my listening/viewing habit.
  • Does not overheat due to enclosed cabinet (had to keep cabinet door ajar for 775, even with cabinet fan on)
  • Sound quality very close to the 755 IMO

So the 755 went back to the box waiting to be returned. One advice, be very very very careful if you try to move the 755 by yourself.

Quote:
Exactly. So called "break in periods" of solid state gear is usually nothing more than getting used to a new sound or picture.

D'Arbignal, you are right, after 3.5 hours of continuous listening to the 755 & 7100 this morning, I've grown to like the sound.

[This message has been edited by JkFruit (edited March 22, 2003).]