Wayne:

Thank you for expressing your opinion. That’s what I was hoping to see – more people putting in their 2 cents. Everyone’s entitled to their own opinion. Mine just happens to differ from yours since this DVD experience can be subjective.

I’d say that wall explosion scene didn’t have enough punch considering how visually spectacular it was (I’ve mentioned this earlier in this thread). There seem to be a bit of imbalance between sight and sound in my opinion. I brought up the example of Star Wars DVD for the sake of clarifying my point about the balance (when heard through same equipment). I’ll be careless whether audio engineers do side by side comparison in their studio or not.
Quote:
Originally posted by Wayne Charlton:
[B]The "Helm's Deep" explosion is not seen as one hundred feet away (as is the case for the transport explosion in Star Wars AOTC) but rather from a half mile away. The Star Wars ship is made of metal and the explosive is "God knows what"? The wall of "Helm's Deep" is rock and the explosive is gun powder. The landing platform in Star Wars is a mile up in the sky. The wall at "Helm's Deep" encloses a stone fortress hune of the bedrock, at the base of a mountain, etc., etc.
B]

I don’t know how you can get such accurate information from watching DVD. Perhaps you can share some DVD features I may have missed out. I couldn’t tell if it was 100 or even 50 feet. BTW, there are multiple shots during that wall explosion. At early stage of the explosion, they show a close up of the wall coming apart, then some people’s faces and bodies, then a shot that appears to be about one football field length away. Calling that a half mile may be stretching it. Also, the explosive may be some kind of gun powder like. I don’t know. Judging from images like cave trolls and Belrock (spell?) swinging a flame sword (an ancient version of light saver perhaps?) and whip, it could’ve been something more fantastic. Anyway, I get your point. Don’t get me wrong, I liked the movie. As is the case in reality, no movie is perfect. In The Fellowship of the Ring, a noticeable bump is when Belrock falls from the bridge. It looks like there was a visual hiccup. Still, I liked the movie.

Thanks for your time and input.