Interesting analogy AGAssarsson.

I guess there aren’t many architects in this saloon or perhaps in audio community in general (they must be more of visual people). So, I’ll try to keep the architectural terminologies to minimum if at all before the other Gunslingers start to loose interest in this thread.

After seeing the LOTR, Fellowship of The Ring, I could not help thinking about the term “special effect” when I heard about its sequel The Two Towers. The book has been around and many people already know the story just like Harry Potter movie. What people did not know was how its going to look (and sound) beyond their imagination and some drawings shown in the book if at all. Don’t get me wrong, I like both LOTR movies. I think they are very well made. Yes, the character and sub-plots are complex. Another movie that has even more complex character and sub-plot with similar imagery (medieval) as LOTR is Brave Heart. The movie does not have to have tons of special effects to be liked by me.

What I’m saying is that in The Two Towers, the entire movie leading up to the explosion scene during the battle of Helms Deep, there are series of fantastic visual and sound effects such as in the beginning scene just before Froto wakes up. BTW, that is one of the coolest beginning of the movie I’ve ever seen. It made my jaw drop! What about when Nazgul flies over the marshland on a dragon. The sound of dragon wing flap was spectacular, thanks to my good subwoofer. Now, if that isn’t exaggeration, then I don’t know what is. After that scene I was getting into the groove and thus far, The Two Towers has not disappointed me. In fact I was impressed all the way until the wall explosion scene at Helms Deep. For a while, I thought something was wrong with my audio system but now I’m beginning to realize that it ain’t so. Intuitively, I felt that compare to the rest of the movie, the sound just didn’t quite give enough punch. Its as if during that split second, was hit with a cotton ball instead of a hammer as it should’ve been. Like I said, its just my gut feeling. So, I still stand with my decision to consider Attach of The Clones as my Favorite Demo over The Two Towers as far as the sound effect goes (we are in audio company chat room).

BTW, Violet-le-Duc was one of the great architects in history. Graves has many followers but considering him as one of the designers of “fantastic” structures may cause a lot of controversy at this point. May be someone can in about hundred years from now. Perhaps this discussion about architect deserves a separate chat room in a different website. I’ll bet there are already but I don’t know because I’m not a big fan of Graves. I’ll give him credit for his gutsy move though.