Quote:
Originally posted by Spiker:
Making the sound close to the real life explosion has it’s place such as in a movie based on true stories like Black Hawk Down or U571. But The Two Towers is a fantasy. I think they could’ve highlighted more...

...I do have a craving for low frequencies for some reason…

I would suggest that the goals of the sound editors and directors of each movie was very different. Star Wars is a "far far distant fantasy," with comic and action hero type characters throughout. The use of direct and metaphorical references to popular culture lends itself to over the top, super-realistic images and sound.

The Two Towers has a far different goal, in that the characters and sub-plots are more complex and contextual to the story itself. The role of sound in making a fantasy become a more involving and realistic experience is the intent of the images and soundtrack. It is painful to imagine the damage that a highly stylistic, and super-exaggerated set of images and sound effects would have on this movie.

As an architect, you may appreciate the difference between Michael Graves and Violet-le-Duc. As both would be considered designers of "fantastic" structures, they couldn't be more different in their use of materials, and the vocabulary of elements and forms. Especially in respect to the metaphorical and symbolic nature and intent of their designs.

Personally, I don't dig Graves... and I don't own any of his overvalued home appliances. They remind me of the "licensed authentic collector edition" Star Wars junk you can find at the same K-mart.

Aalto rules, and best wishes to all this holiday season...

Allan

[This message has been edited by AGAssarsson (edited October 26, 2003).]