IMHO, while there are pros and cons in the “commercial theater” vs. “home theater” issue, I find that I prefer home theater over the average commercial theater. As similarly expressed in the “Outlaw to Outlaw - Rip It and Pass It On” discussion thread on October 15 & 16 regarding creative people in the music industry, I think that most commercial theaters are not constructed with visual and audio enthusiasts making the decisions. It seems to me that in most commercial theaters, the very high and the deeply low frequencies are well outside the effective roll-off of the equipment and venue while a fair amount of the frequencies in-between have peaks, valleys and various sibilance problems. The problem is the dollar-per-seat initial investment in expertise and infrastructure. I think most theater goers don’t know the difference and therefore will chose the ticket costing less over the slightly more expensive ticket to an exceptional venue, so I don't blame theater owners for their decisions. I just wish it could be different, so I invest in home theater.

So, if your home theater does a decent job, I would say you haven’t missed enough to fret about. According to an news report,

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=638&ncid=762&e=1&u=/nm/20031016/en_nm/film_rings_dc

if you wish to experience a commercial theater viewing, some commercial theaters are running Fellowship and Two Towers, extended versions, during the two weeks before the third film is released for commercial theaters. Other theaters have scheduled 11 hour marathons for all three films in-a-row, but those sold out within hours of being available.