I have recently viewed “Matrix” again after receiving and setting up a 950/770 combo. Previously the ‘hub’ of my system was a THX certified Onkyo. Also the viewed/listened to the LOTR extended DVD again.

On ‘fine’ sounds, only a slight difference, but noticeable in bringing them more sharply into my listening consciousness. It is similar to using a new blade in a razor to shave today versus using the same blade toady as I had the last couple days.

On loud percussive sounds, each sound rose and fell more authoritatively, not more loudly, while still being in a good balance with the mix of music and effects. I would say this is related to my comment on the ‘fine’ sounds. Even as large transient demand is placed on each channel, the ‘fine points’ of each sound remain intact and clear, similar to wearing a nicely pressed and creased shirt and pants versus items that just came of the dryer and were merely hung on hangers before wearing.

Both Matrix and LOTR are good material to compare the change in processing and amplification.