Quote:
Originally posted by gonk:
The PS3 doesn't have a switch - it just has wireless ethernet.
Never said it did, but was just commenting on the fact that it made it very simple to setup within a network. It also has built in ethernet.

Quote:
Meanwhile, HD-DVD and Blu-ray players with ethernet connections have so far been wired only, as have surround receivers and processors from folks like Onkyo and Denon.
Right.. wired only but some offer net radio. In addition new TV's and other devices are coming wired for the internet.

Quote:
I wonder how much hassle it is to set up a wireless access point as a bridge compared to setting up a wireless bridge built into a surround receiver. You can plug the access point into a USB port and configure it with keyboard and mouse, then just move it once and stick it where it can get best reception while still facilitating network cabling.
Have you ever done it? Doesn't sound like it and if you have, then you know it is a hassle. No biggie if your technically savvy. What you pointed out at NewEgg was a router and you would need to use an access point with the router to create a wireless bridge. Your initial router would have to be setup for point to multipoint. Your access point for your second router would have to contain a hard IP address and the MAC address of your router. You may or may not be able to pick that up on a scan. Plus, if you're using a Macintosh there most likely wont be a setup CD, so you better have an understanding of IP addresses and how to setup your computer with a static address. You can also buy and antenna extender if necessary. Which is a lot cheaper than the other solutions.

Quote:
Not alwaysOn the other hand, you'll be using a remote control (good for entering numbers, less so for typing in letters) to configure the wireless bridge in a surround processor. The configuration requirements are basically the same since you're connecting to the same house network either way.
You wouldn't have to configure a bridge. Your processor receives the IP address and then uses built in software for "internet connection sharing." All on one network, no big deal. No setup hassels. Just plug in your devices and they share the processors connection. You can do this on a extremely small footprint. Embedded on a chip or part of the system software.

Quote:
I also recall there being a few products from folks like Linksys that were designed specifically to provide a bridge like the one we're describing, as the XBox and PS2 created a large demand for it. What would really be smart for a company like Netgear, Linksys, DLink, or maybe even 3Com (somebody with the network engineering resources readily at hand) would be a "den data hub" device that offered a wireless bridge, 10/100 switch with half a dozen ports, and a form factor and setup interface that was geared specifically for tying the home theater to a house network. Heck, they probably have something along these lines and I just haven't looked for it...
right or you could just have the solution that I talked about and not worry about buying an additional piece of equipment.

Look, I see where you're coming from and how you see the solution and obviously I see it differently. I see the Pre/Pro as the brain of a system. All your components connect to it, so why not connect your components ethernet as well. The feature would certainly separate them from their competitors. Obviously you don't need it since you're hardwired, but those of us that aren't might really like a simple solution.