I think this sort of approach would have the most value if it allowed remote (particularly wireless remote) interface, which probably wouldn't match up well with USB. After all, firmware updates have already proven that very few of us have computers near our systems. From that standpoint, TCP/IP (probably through some sort of web-based interface, since it would be platform agnostic at that point) would seem like the ideal approach. However you slice it, it's a significant development investment (mainly on the software side, as ethernet connectivity is getting easier and cheaper to integrate every year). Balancing that investment (and the associated cost increase the final product would probably experience as a result) with the number of customers who can actually use it is one of those debates that I'm glad I don't have to be part of - there is no right answer, just varying degrees of wrong. At some point, it will probably become an easier thing to justify. Right now, it feels to me like it is sort of on that borderline between "what a cool concept!" and "maybe they should try to include something along these lines?"...