Quote:
Originally posted by gonk:
Also, I like the look of the two knobs (symmetry and balance), but I'm not sure how much I'd like the arrangement in actual use. I helped test an internet radio for Outlaw some years ago (a few folks around here may remember hearing about the IR1000, which reached "production-ready" status right about the same time the Librarian of Congress started dabbling in airplay fees for internet radio stations), and while the knob-based interface was surprisingly well thought out I still think that, for some things, the familiar navigation pad is easier to use.
I can see where you're coming from with the navigation pad, but I find it cumbersome to some degree. I think you could honestly have it both ways because your remote obviously has a key pad. I found the 990 front panel a bit cumbersome with the navigation pad.

The second reason for the nob is I'm used to the feel of a nob for tuning in radio. I have my 990 hooked up to an rooftop antenna and it's great. The navigation pad is a pan IMO when setting presets or finding stations. I like the feeling of gliding through the channel. It also allows you to control the unit with two hands. The current navigation pad is too bunched together and the buttons are too small.

However, I don't use the front panel on the 990 very much.