Quote:
Originally posted by gonk:
Quote:
Originally posted by Scooby:
[b]I see - but then what difference does it make in the end? It sounds as if the Cirrus chip is a more elegant solution - fine, but should I care? (I don't know, and I'm really asking; should I? smile )
In theory, there shouldn't be a difference between whether a single Cirrus chip decodes and processes the audio or whether a trio of TI chips do it - the Dolby and DTS decoding should adhere to the respective standards, and the other common audio processing should be done properly either way. There's a possibility that one option will offer some feature that the other doesn't (things like equalization and room correction, for example, take a fair bit of CPU muscle to do), but I don't know of any specific examples either way in this regard - receivers using the three-chip TI solution offer Audyssey MultEQ and I've read a bit about a Cirrus-based Sherwood product that will include Trinnov's competitor to MultEQ, but I don't know if either of those examples rely solely on the DSP chip or if there's additional supporting hardware involved.

To directly answer the question "should you care" I'll say this much: I would not base a buying decision solely on which DSP chip is used in a receiver or processor, unless the chip in question (and thus the receover in question) was unable to support features that I wanted. [/b]
Thanks Gonk that makes sense and that's more or less what I would have guessed. I'd still like lotus to explain his 'cheating' comments though.