Quote:
Originally posted by gonk:
I can't answer the question that Sanjay asks (although I'd also be interested to see the answer), but I may be able to help with this one:
Quote:
(Well I understand they're waiting on a chip, I guess the question is what does this new chip do that the current ones don't? As sdurani points out, there are plenty of receivers out there that decode dts-hd ma and dolby truehd.)
The chip that a lot of manufacturers have been waiting for (the Cirrus 49700) does basically the exact same things that the TI Aureus chips do. The only difference is that it does it by itself - as a single chip - where most of the TI implementations are using three chips to perform the same processing. As for why they are waiting, well, that's probably a source of much consternation for more than one company: at some point, probably back in 2006 at the latest, those companies decided to base their designs on the Cirrus hardware instead of the TI hardware. The Cirrus was reportedly due to be available probably a year ago, if not earlier than that. As they developed the rest of the hardware and the supporting software for their products, the 49700 has apparently experienced a series of delays, leaving them with one big piece of the puzzle missing - and a piece that is central enough to enough different things that swapping it out would be costly and time-consuming.
I see - but then what difference does it make in the end? It sounds as if the Cirrus chip is a more elegant solution - fine, but should I care? (I don't know, and I'm really asking; should I? smile )