Quote:
Originally posted by Dan Hitchman:
HDMI 1.3 auto lip synch feature.
I've seen several references here and there to HDMI v1.3's automatic lip sync feature and what is required for it to work. As I understand it, the entire signal path needs to be HDMI v1.3 to make the feature work: source device (HD-DVD, Blu-ray, DVD, cable/satellite, or whatever), receiver or processor, and display. It's a catch that I haven't seen mentioned as often as I'd expect, but it's also a catch that makes perfect sense - every step of the process that is capable of performing some form of video processing (and thus delaying the display of the video signal) needs to be able to contribute to the calculation of the necessary audio delay required to keep the two signals synchronized. I agree that Outlaw and others need to make sure the capability is there in their HDMI v1.3 products, but it seems like it'll be a long time before many people are able to use the feature - and in the meanwhile, the rest of us will need to have the good ol' manual AV sync adjustment controls so we can work out the needed delay for each input. It makes me wonder if all the excitement about HDMI v1.3 is going to create a bunch of capabilities in our receivers and processors that we'll never get to use. First there's TrueHD and DTS-HD MA decoding (which, even once somebody starts building a player that is capable of outputting those bitstreams to a receiver, may still not be available as undecoded bitstreams because players will need to decode to PCM internally to support interactivity features), and then there's automatic AV sync (which will require users to own an entire HDMI v1.3 signal path that supports the feature before it can be turned on).