Quote:
As to locking onto 7.1 decoding until the user turns it off the Outlaw 950 does not have this functionality. I don't know about the 990, but Marantz, Pioneer, Denon, and a few others have this feature.
I'm not sure I follow this. Both the 950 and 990 allow you to "train" them for each input so that it would apply the preferred decoding for each different input signal (PCM stereo, Dolby 2.0, Dolby 5.1, DTS 5.1) - for example, I've long used a 6.1 or 7.1 processing mode to PCM stereo and Dolby 2.0 video sources (PLII+CES on the 950, PLIIx on the 990) while also using a surround back matrix decoding scheme with 5.1 sources (DD+CES and DTS+CES on the 950, DD+PLIIx and DTS+PLIIx on the 990). Flagged Dolby EX and DTS ES Discrete sources of course must be allowed to engage their proper decoding formats, but that doesn't interfere with my other preferences. I consider some memory like this to be an essential feature for a surround processor. The geek in me really likes the way that Anthem and Lexicon handle it (each input having a whole screen of input types and the corresponding user preferred processing), but that approach makes for a menacingly complex user interface for most users - which doesn't fit well with Outlaw's design approach.
Quote:
The upcoming top end Sherwood Newcastle receiver is supposed to sport six HDMI 1.3 inputs and possibly 2 HDMI 1.3 outputs.
Yes, but the hardware sample that was on display at CES just two months ago only had four inputs and one output - that makes for some major hardware revisions, to the point where I question their goal of an August release date. My personal doubts aside, I like their decision to move up to six inputs and I think that two outputs would not be a bad idea. I wonder how much more complex that makes getting HDCP compliance right (maybe none, maybe a bunch).
Quote:
The summer/fall Denon and Marantz receivers for 1997 from their upper mid to high end models are expected to include four or more HDMI 1.3 inputs, all the latest audio formats for Blu-ray and HD-DVD, DeepColor support, and full 1080p upscaling and pass-through features.

Why can't an Outlaw pre-amp that's a little more than the 990 have these features (and more) with better sound quality since the amplifiers have been dropped?
I'd say that that's exactly what we can expect from the 990's eventual replacement. It's not a question of "why can't it?" so much as it is a question of "when can it be ready?" Denon and Marantz will likely get them to market by early fall, but they share the R&D might of D&M Holding and all that entails. They also can expect to replace those first models within one year (very possibly nine months) with something that polishes the rough edges off of all this new technology. The 990's replacement will need to stand on its own in the market for a good three years, so they can't afford to leave things to be fixed "in the next model." It'll come - but not before Denon and Marantz get there. We might see it as soon as early 2008 (call it a year from now), if they catch some lucky breaks along the way.