I'm ready to throw a whole new perspective in on this. As a computer geek and technocrat, I foresee 2006 being the year of the Media Center PC. The grand majority of people will, towards the year end, be getting them.

Think about it. Everyone is starting to get wireless to network their homes, and by year end, they will be wanting a Media Center PC. It stores all their media, from DVDs, CDs, old home movie VHS tapes, current digital video tapings and more, all in a single location that offers quick access to any media you want at any moment. Then the networking allows that media to be shared elsewhere through out the house as well.

If you really think about it, the PC offers the modularity customization for the media devices and then all that gets sent via DVI and optical cable to the pre/pro. If you wanted to really minimize, the 990 would need only two component jacks, DVI and optical into it and all the other components would be managed by the PC.

I believe it's definitely something to think about. This might be a good thing for Outlaw, in the fact that they can concentrate on sound and let the PC market handle all the changing digital standards in video/HDMI. Sure they still need to have DACs for the separate channels, but they might be able to offer the higher end DACs since they have less inputs and accompanying circuitry to worry about.

Though a tuner has been a Outlaw standard and also 2006 will see the emergence of HD Radio, if I'm not mistaken. So, you will get CD or better quality audio from the airwaves. Perhaps even SACD and DVD Audio formatted music, coming out all 5 to 7 speakers (plus the .1) Heck, the DVD Audio and SACD market could easily use some free advertising to get there sales finally going, if they haven't just given up all together.

So, I would say that Outlaw may want to consider reducing the component inputs for digital, even reduce a few analog, say the S-video and analog 5.1 channel inputs and just let the PC market handle that. It is very easy for the PCs to do the analog to digital conversion. They do it already.

If you’re not familiar with it, most of the new motherboards are equipped with digital optical audio out jacks on top of their own speaker outs with stereo mini jacks. But most importantly, it’s a good solution to the HD-DVD/Blu-Ray war. Don't worry about what one you're going to get, or what Motion Picture company supports what format. It's just a simple drive purchase for your Media PC and you can buy one of each and store it in you RAID array to be played wherever and whenever you want.

Now, sure not everybody's going to go Media PC immediately, so Outlaw may still need to offer support for the audiophiles out there that don't like change. But, I bet the majority of you Gunslingers will be looking into it and getting one in a year or two.

Now if Outlaw wants they could round a few of us technocrats up and make a side company to do custom Media Center PC's for it's clients. But that is my wishful thinking.

Thus, that gives my different perspective on what will be needed to improve the 990, even though I'm still using my 1050 with a 750 and ICBM. But I'm planning on upgrading this year as I get into the HDTV arena and get rid of my NTSC CRT rear projection Sony 52". laugh

By the way when is the 790, 300W @ 8 ohms x 7 balanced input amp coming out?

----------------------
The only good is knowledge and
the only evil is ignorance.