I have had my 1050 for about 6 weeks now and really love it. The thing I noticed in my application of the 1050 is that it is used only for home theater. In looking at many peoples HTs on the web, I get the feeling that is all many others do as well. So here are my suggestions for a possible receiver:

1. As I called this an audio receiver, that means you would ax all the video switching. I bought a wide screen TV, and I really only spend my TV watching HDTV (HBOHD, etc.) or DVD. As such, I use component inputs only, and we know one can not do quality switching without a lot of money. Why do this if your TV can do all the switching anyway. Sure, this is not everyone, but HDTV will grow.

2. Ax all of the tape IO, etc. Maybe leave one Aux input. I just don't see many people going to their HT's to listen only.

3. Keeping #2 in mind, ax the AM/FM tuner as well.

4. Now beef up the DSP section to support some of the newer formats. I doubt if it would hurt much if you left out DPL2.

5. Bump up the wattage of the amps some as well i.e. 100 watts with 3 channels driven.

6. Use high quality DACs.

7. Keep all the 5.1 IO, bass management/xover, etc. of the 1050.

I guess what I am saying is, put all the money in to making a theater only receiver.