For purposes of evaluation I would be using a CompuScope and an arbitrary waveform generator, along with whatever test load was deemed most likely to introduce the mid-fi artifacts that high end designs correct.

I'm expecting that whatever long hard hours of R&D the high end guys put into their designs were not done without specific goals, and thus what I need to know is how to recreate the defects they have labored to correct.

I don't expect them to show up in a conventional THD or frequency response test as mid-fi designs also do well there, but rather on more difficult to reproduce tests, such as for example bursts or complex waveforms. Whatever the case, I've been looking for an excuse to upgrade my test bench and this could be it! I'm pumped!

So I just need to know specifically what to send in and what to expect out, defect and improvement wise. Even if it requires a music signal, a wave gen can certainly do that, although I really would then need a good explaination of how the amp knows it's 'doing music'.

You got me ready to go the extra mile - don't peter out now!

Charlie

My old 'music' system had a DH-110 preamp and over the years a series of different amps and other associated bits and parts. The amps included an Old Colony (or one of the companies that run ads there - it's been too long) mod'ed Dynaco ST70, a DH120, the Carver m1.5t and a few more.

That is all still in storage (except the Carver) as my new house has a 6.1 system in it. I was hoping to get a 950, but with the issues and delays that are popping up I may go with a Motorola based system like the Sunfire or Ref30.

At this moment I'm using a 1050 until I make a choice. I'll also be auditioning an Anthem AVM20 soon, but the Cirrus stuff just seems to have a lot of issues.

The speakers are a DIY set using primarily Audax parts, including their aerogel midrange drivers.

[This message has been edited by charlie (edited August 19, 2002).]