Well, I've had or listened to quite a few amps. That's one curious thing about high-end, no seven people seem to agree on what is and isn't.

I've personally owned stuff by the David Hafler Company (when they were around), Sony, Pioneer, Carver, Adcom, Outlaw, others and never heard any difference (except in output volume) between any of them. Based on that, either they all somehow managed to create the exact same 'mid-fi' sound through some massive amplifier conspiracy or amps pretty much take a little signal and make it bigger.

Controlling the driver is a reach. An amp applies voltage and supplies a current source. The internal resistance of that source is where the so called damping factor comes from, although most amp companies muff it when they list that 'spec'. Interestingly, a sound reinforcement company (QSC) is the only one I've noticed lately that actually remembers the part where they must specify the load for it to mean anything.

The Klipsch sound is partly from the horn, but the horn is an impedence matching device, not an echo chamber. I don't like them, either.

As for high end companies existence proving something, it does, but nothing one can hear. I like Mercedes Benz, but I'm not going to delude myself into thinking it's better transportation than a Toyota. People (including me) spend tons of money on useless stuff because we want to. And I do appreciate the build quality and looks of expensive things, including the Mercedes and the Krell.

Now I admit, it's been a while since I went seriously listening to high end stuff, mostly because of my almost uniform disappointment in the past, so maybe I should venture out to see what massive improvements have been discovered in the last 15 years. Once our beta test is concluded and the pressure is relieved perhaps I'll do that.

Are you aware of any dealers in the Portland, Oregon area that you would consider high end dealers?

Charlie

I guess I'd also have to get you to define high end. There is a local ML, B&K, Anthem, DefTech etc. dealer - is that high end to you?

[This message has been edited by charlie (edited August 16, 2002).]