Actually, the eAR has crappy frequency response, and if you look at the specs you'll see that. Let's try not to get personal, OK? Did you actually LOOK at the specs? Is frequency response also not important?

I realize harmonic distortion in small doses is even interpreted as sounding good by some wonks, but I'll take mine without, thanks. If I want some harmonic distortion then the amp is a stupid place to get it - I'll build/buy an adjustable source and put it inline. Maybe I can buy a high-end cable to do that for me.....

So we have a relativly expensive amp with frequency response that varies relatively wildly with load, and somehow this is cutting edge? And the compelling benefit is... ?

Sure, measurements aren't everything, but as a STARTING POINT an amp should measure well - blind listening should take it from there. Harmon International for one (Proceed, Mark Levenson, Lexicon, etc) uses blind listening tests, ABX specifically, but they also use test instruments.

As for dismissing these products out of hand, that is far from the truth. I'm impatiently awaiting the time when someone, somewhere delivers on the promise of the digital amp - high output, low heat, low cost, low distorion, etc. but no one seems to be there yet.

The eAR power module (your B&O link) looks well suited to a powered speaker, where the engineering team has control of the load, but it looks like the low pass filter is still causing some grief for the general case. Do you understand the issue? There's no shame in saying no.

Charlie

[This message has been edited by charlie (edited August 13, 2002).]