Quote:
The digital amps I've looked at all had measureable levels of distortion that are possibly audible, at least they are not orders of magnitude below the threshold of audibility.

No, maybe not, but did you listen to any of them?
Quote:
....moved to the point where the amps measure well?

I think that depends on what you mean with " well ". If one refer to standard specsheet measurements, as in broschures, on an 8 Ohm resistive load, they measure decent, though probably wonīt show off, but in more relevant setups with loads simulating the complex load of a modern loudspeaker, as the mid - fi recievers start blowing their gaskets ( fuses ) and spinning their fans, they will shine with tornadoes of effortless, clean current and probably brighter than any Outlaw product ever has.

To me, it seems that they donīt measure " Krell/ML " yet, but, again to me, they measure better than they have to.

High end audio development today would be completely pointless without hardcore listeningtests over extended periods, as the days of textbook design only are long gone. In many cases, the time spent on developing/listening a product concept can be the difference between a high vs. low end product performance.
Reviews in the audio press are always based on listening tests. In the better magazines ( Stereophile ) there are some additional basic measurements and in others there are none. The tendency seems to be to seek similarities between the listening tests and the measurements, having them to confirm each other.
The reviews has a huge impact on the introduction of a component. Being read with interest by insane buffs ( me? ) and early adopters, the ( dis - )information they contain rains down on the regular Joe, who is then creating the volume in the products turnaround.

In the end, to me, audio equipment is there to ( re - )create a listening experience, to make music and film believable. Most people that I know agree. Do you?

With best regards

Anders

[This message has been edited by AndersP (edited August 08, 2002).]