I agree with everythig said in this thread so far. But only as it applies to the next pre/pro. I think that what we're talking about here is a bit too high-end to be really worthwile for a receiver.

A separate video switching box is a Good Idea, especially if it can upconvert EVERYTHING to component. My goodness, that would save me a lot of remote fiddling and make video switching actually worth it for me. It would also have to at least maintain the original quality of the signal. I'm not expecting a deinterlacer or line doubler; just good ol' 480i on component with OSD. I'm guessing that the switcher would also be overlaying the OSD.

Another advantage is, you can remove ALL video circuitry from the pre/pro, which could (I'm not saying will, but could) remove some interference there. And, of course, allow resources to be better spent on better sonics.

One difference, though, is that I think the video switcher would have to be connected to the pre/pro with some kind of proprietary cable, both for control and for transmitting OSD data to the switcher. The switcher should NOT have an IR eye.

This also allows people who don't like video switching to not pay for it. Best of all worlds! Even better, it allows the Outlaws to release the one first, and then focus on the other, and not recall one because of bugs in the other.

------------------
Matthew J. Hill
matt@idsi.net