Yeah - now that you edited it has more content. I read the original and thought, huh, that's all quote!?!???!!

You're usually much more verbose than that!

Quote:
Ooooh, a 'trick' question. hehe. My answer is -"Less than the human eye can perceive at any normal viewing distance". If you say that's not 'perfect' enough for you then you're fooling yourself or trying to fool me.

I was actually looking for a number. As in a quantity. Anything else is mere opinion, although it may be correct. And note that I'm not saying the above is wrong (or right either), just that it's not useful to me.

I have very good uncorrected vision, and for instance I can see the lines 'between' pixels on the Zenith 9K projector I watched (the same one I noted scaler artifacts on) so I'm concerned with any technology that has discrete pixels and multiple color sources. I don't think concern is unreasonable given the dearth of actual products to test and fiddle with.

Quote:
But I do know. I've told you over and over that all LCD projecotrs are 3 chip systems and no one has any problems with convergence. That's the 'real world' proof.

Why should I believe functionality from LCD maps to DLP? And do you have a service manual for the LCD projector? If not, how do you know there's no adjustment?

Quote:
You've already made it clear you have NO experience with these systems so why challenge me when you couldn't pass your own challenge

How was that clear?

Quote:
The color wheel's plastic film. There's no plastic that can withstand this level of heat and light without fading over time.

I've never looked at a color wheel in person, so I can't say, but I do know that most high quality filters are glass, and that dyes and pigments (even in plastic) vary in resistance to fading. So I still don't have an answer. Saying something is so doesn't prove it to be so, no matter how much you say it. Got any accelerated aging figures, or just guessing?

Quote:
"By using a multiple of 480/720/1080 no scaling would be required. I like simpler where possible."

It's not simpler when you have an array that's made up of 4 times as many pixels as the original 1080P GLV design. But to clarify, this is still a lot less pixels than DLP needs in a 2D array. I mentioned before about how it's very easy for the GLV design to drastically increase it's resolution.

Actually it is much simpler. Switching 4/6/9 devices on at the same time to widen the effective scan line, then dumping the raw data into the device is trivial, unlike doing artifact free scaling which is impossible. Scaling can be very very good, but there will always (as long as computing power is finite) be some loss. I'd welcome at least the option to view without a scaler. And as you noted, 4K devices is still a pretty low count compared to other technologies.

Quote:
"Also, I noticed that to modulate the intensity in a scheme like a GLV array there will be two basic ways, both with issues.-" "-but there would be in effect a binary stream of 1s and 0s (on
spots and off spots) of sub-pixel size as the devices are switched on and off."

I'm not sure about the details of this train of thought.

Basically - wow, this is hard without a drawing. Imagine the scan 'bar' as it crosses the screen. As it enters the next 'pixel' the elements switch on. As it scans across the with of the pixel, at some point, depending on the intensity of the image in that pixel, it will switch off. Thus the 'brightness' of any discrete point on the screen will be 100% or 0%, a 1 or 0, although the average brightness for the area of the pixel would be correct.

Now imagine 3 colors, a non gray pixel, and you can see that not all the red will always be covered with blue, etc. Might be OK (esp since the resolution is so high) but they may need to dither to prevent moire.

Quote:
-"as direct view color masks are not too noticable in most cases." Yeah, mine isn't noticble at all.
Have you looked at current CRT HD RPTV's. from any reasonable distance they're rock solid.

Um, yeah, that would be because they have no color masks. Only color direct view sets use color masking to allow a single tube to generate multiple colors. Look really close at a direct view tube and you'll see the masking. Just one of the many reasons I actually like RPTV images better than direct view.

Quote:
"Please cite a source to confirm 3 chip DLP theater systems have no convergence adjustment."

I saw pictures of the actual entire light engine on TI's web site, and read where they explain how the three chips are mounted so that they're alligned and don't need convergence.

Yeah - I saw it somewhere too. It also didn't show the electrical connections, fasteners and other construction details, but I bet (as in I suspect) it has those too. A service manual or physical inspection is probably the only way to be sure, although the word of an experienced tech would be close to definitive.

Quote:
"Presenting opinion as fact is weak."

Yeah... I present actual 'real world' application results from countless 3 chip system users. The 'fact' element is that they all (including myself) see no color convergence error at any normal viewing distance. I guess seeing no color error isn't good enough for you? Your loss.

I appreciate your input. I believe you saw no issues. Good for you. The fact you didn't see it doesn't mean it cannot exist. Do you understand that? It proves nothing except you cannot see any problem. There may or may not be a problem, and the fact that you see nothing encourages me to like the 3 chip concept but proves nothing else.

Perhaps as an artist you are more in touch with your inner child or something, but as an engineer I need actual proof. If that frustrates you, join the club. But there are guys who think like me and approach problems like I do that are right now getting the next great piece of gear ready for you to enjoy, so a rational approach is not without benefit.

Quote:
Why don't you go find your own info? Why ask me?

It seems you have done some research on LCD and LCoS and I have not, so I was hoping that, as a courtesy, you would share any knowledge and even better, sources, with me and by extension all who might through some twisted sense of curiousity still be reading this thread.

Quote:
"My understanding was it was due to time differences in the projection of the various colors and had nothing to do with the 'dots' failing to hit the same spot on the screen."

Yes, since that's not possible with a one chip system. That's not what I meant though. Read what I wrote.

Well now that you have added more to the original post it makes sense, but the original post was senseless to me.

Quote:
Actually, why AM I answering them anyway?

You're not really very much, so whatever. I'm asking for facts and getting anecdotal evidence. They are distinctly different things.

And:

What I want in a display? For a 2D system I want a 1 mm thick flexible film direct view system that can display at 1200 dpi and 48 bits of color, 100 fps and should cost $5 per square foot. I'll use it for wallpaper.

I'll need some time to think about 3D, but I doubt there's any hurry.

You asked.

I'll be adding to the digital amp thread soon, as I'm finishing some measurements on my home system. It measures pretty well, but I'll post results there after the measurements are confirmed.

Have a good one.