"I've heard that images could be 'improved' but in practice I've never watched or heard of a scaler that was artifact free."

Obviously you need hard to find 'data' to confirm things that people can just tell you or you can find out for yourself. I'm not a font of technical specs, but I don't have to be. Try AVS forum and you can talk to tons of HTPC owners who can tell you how upconverting DVD's can look better than the native 480P format. The artifact issue doesn't come up because you start with such a hi res format to begin with and the upconversion does far more good than any noticible harm, but YES there must be some form of damage.

Does this matter when the end result is a sharper picture that every HTPC user agrees looks better than the original DVD? No. Feel free to disagree without ever seeing this upconversion. It's your loss.

"By using a multiple of 480/720/1080 no scaling would be required. I like simpler where possible."

It's not simpler when you have an array that's made up of 4 times as many pixels as the original 1080P GLV design. But to clarify, this is still a lot less pixels than DLP needs in a 2D array. I mentioned before about how it's very easy for the GLV design to drastically increase it's resolution.

Let's just see if Sony even gets this sucker into production. and then into our homes and then increase the resolution to the range you suggest. I think I won't hold my breath, but I'd sure welcome it as much as you would.

"Also, I noticed that to modulate the intensity in a scheme like a GLV array there will be two basic ways, both with issues.-" "-but there would be in effect a binary stream of 1s and 0s (on
spots and off spots) of sub-pixel size as the devices are switched on and off."

You'll have to clarify your point here.

-"as direct view color masks are not too noticable in most cases." Yeah, mine isn't noticble at all.
Have you looked at current CRT HD RPTV's. from any reasonable distance they're rock solid.

"Also, if more of one color is needed there will be places within the pixel where one 'pure primary' color shows unlike DLP, agian like direct view systems. This seems like it could reopen the door to moire problems if not treated with care."

I'm not sure about the details of this train of thought.

"The other option (according to you - i've not verified it) would be to use analog to modulate the GLV. This seems like a bad idea to me, but I'd need more info."

Uh huh. Bad. Well, you do need more info.

Personally I'm only going by the reports I read years ago from people who actually saw the 1080P prototype FP in action. At the time the reporter from www.twice.com called it the best looking picture he's ever seen. There's a pic of the display in action on the GLV's web site not that you can tell anything for that pic other than the system does work and does exist (and has since 1998 or 99).

"Please cite a source to confirm 3 chip DLP theater systems have no convergence adjustment."

I saw pictures of the actual entire light engine on TI's web site, and read where they explain how the three chips are mounted so that they're alligned and don't need convergence.

I can't find it there anymore, but it might still be there. There's lots of DLP info still there.

I don't care if you don't believe this, there's already so much that you don't believe and won't even consider possible... let's just add it to your list of things you refuse to understand.

I'm not going to address your remarks on convergence again. That's beyond enough for me. If you don't get it by now you probably never will.

You may not have seen my remarks in a previous post. I changed computers during the post and had to go back and edit it to post what I meant to. By then you had already posted several times.

Go back and read my comments on my actual viewings of a 3 chip DLP system and LCD projectors.

"BTW I'm still waiting for a quantified specification of how much convergence error
to expect (look up the big words if you have to)-"

No need to insult. I answered this question in an above post.

"Presenting opinion as fact is weak."

Yeah... I present actual 'real world' application results from countless 3 chip system users. The 'fact' element is that they all (including myself) see no color convergence error at any normal viewing distance. I guess seeing no color error isn't good enough for you? Your loss.

"I'm curious how big the LCD projector devices are (optical part) since a bigger size imaging engine could make manufacture easier. Any idea?"

Yes, but why waste my time for you?

"-Any sources for this info?"

Why don't you go find your own info? Why ask me? You don't believe anything I tell you anyway. That info isn't hard to find. I know this info and othe related subjects like LCoS light engines and more about the GLV system than you. Go find out for yourself.

"One last thing before you move on - can you explain in detail again the part about how color misconvergnece in single chip DLP systems causes the 'rainbow' effect?"

I explained what I meant in my edited post above.

"My understanding was it was due to time differences in the projection of the various colors and had nothing to do with the 'dots' failing to hit the same spot on the screen."

Yes, since that's not possible with a one chip system. That's not what I meant though. Read what I wrote.

And you YET AGAIN ignore me asking 'what you want in a display' which should be the point of this thread. If that's of no interest to you then I won't answer anymore of your questions.

Actually, why AM I answering them anyway? You'll never 'get it'. Like you never tried the digital amps I told you about to HEAR the difference for yourself, you'll probably never SEE a 3 chip LCD or DLP system to see the actual color alligment in real life for your own eyes.

But hey... what would be the point of THAT right? Actually seeing ang hearing the real world results of theses designs... pointless right!?

I give up on you. Go hide behind your 'data crunching' as you refuse to live in the real world and see/hear these things you only wish to debate in theory.